Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Show Me State

What's happening with Missouri's K-12 Math Standards?

Check out: missourimath.org

The Sept 20 entry is especially disturbing:
"Since I had already pointed out these issues in my original invited review of these standards, I can only assume that the authors are consciously determined to deprive Missouri students of the opportunity to learn this more and more vital part of elementary mathematics well enough to be able to realistically major in technical areas at the university level."

Check out: Missouri's Algebra I End of Course Exam

Does this look like Algebra I to you?
If you're not sure, ask an Algebra II teacher.

Is this really a problem? Ask a college math professor how many in-coming freshmen are placing into remedial math courses. Ask their opinion of our math standards.




No comments: